Pages

Preparation H And The Tired Writer




Writer’s eye syndrome is what I’ve got.




For the past week I’ve been spending a lot of time editing two upcoming releases. The Tricked Out Toolbox~Marketing and Promotional Tools Every Writer Needs, my non-fiction craft book coming out in early spring 2012, and Color Me Love, an Olivia Davis Mini-Mystery, coming out in February 2012.

Here I am at my son's basketball game reading a sample of my novel on my Kindle. (YES! You can send your book to your ereader device before you publish it so you can see how it looks.)
I'm just exhausted.


When I looked in the mirror, I had to do a double take! I couldn’t believe my eyes. They were dark, puffy, red, full of stress and worry. Now I’m not big on make up. I’ve never worn a lot of it and I’ve never learned how to apply it, so now I’m thinking these eyes that have found a home on my face will never go away.


Lately I've been getting a lot of "you okay?" from neighbors, friends, and family. Personally

I think they are thinking, “Gosh, writing is killing her. Maybe she should stop and get some sleep.”

So….I’ve been on the hunt for something that will help my eyes, short of surgery.


Who did I go to? My trusty old friend Google. There are a million ideas out there.


O course I found the old tried and true tea bags and cucumbers, but it did nothing for me. I’m desperate! I’d do almost anything to make my tired eyes feel better. And then a light came shining down and I couldn’t believe what I was reading.


YES! Preparation H? Do you think I went and bought a tube and dab some on my puffy, red, sad eyes?


YES I DID! Only I didn't dab, I rubbed!


Did it work?


Let’s just say I’m giving it a few days and a lot of dabs.

If it doesn’t work or get somewhat better I do have another secret….


Milk Soother

Cold milk tastes great with a big slice of rich chocolate cake, but cold milk is also great for tired, puffy eyes. If you’re looking exceptionally tired these days, try a milk treatment that will soothe and relax your eyes.

Pour ice cold milk into a shallow bowl, and toss in a couple of large cotton balls. Find a place to lie down, place a towel beneath your head, and with eyes tightly closed, place milk-soaked cotton balls over your eyes. After ten or fifteen minutes, wash, dry, and moisturize your face as usual. (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/44611/home_remedies_to_soothe_puffy_tired_pg2.html?cat=69)


Do you have any home remedies for tired bones, eyes or anything else to help this ailing writer?


15 comments:

  1. cottage cheese on cottage pads, cucumber slices, spoons from the refrigerator (be careful they're cold), vitamin K creme. check out my friend's book Return to Beauty for amazing secret home remedies! and keep writing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Staci I would eat the cottage cheese with the cucumber slices....I LOVE the spoon idea!! I'm going to check out the book right now! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might also want to try computer glasses. They look like your standard reading glasses, except that they're specifically designed to keep your eyes from getting strained when staring at the screen for too long. There's ones like these that might help http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Glasses-Polycarbonate-Anti-reflective-Protection/dp/B000KZ4KZG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_1 . Might be worth buying if your eye straining is a constant problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, my eye doctor recommended something similar to those. It's like a big process. . .which involves taking out my contacts. SIGH. . .I edit and write wherever I can and I wear my contacts 24/7. But it's worth a try. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that for me, if I overdo it to the point that it affects me like this, I need a day off. Not saying it's the same for you, but if I'm this tired and stressed, my writing definitely suffers, and I'm not doing my readers any favors! So a day off might be something to consider even though I know it's not what you want to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I wish! The truth is, I'm in much the same boat. My eyes just get really, really red and I look like a devil child, and then I have to take out my contacts and put on my Harry Potter-style glasses. Not a good look.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I heard about Preparation H way back in the '70s. Never tried it. As for tired eyes, sleep is probably the best cure of all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The secret is learning how to relax so you can get a good night's sleep, Super T.

    Try lavendar mist and oils on your pillow as well as chamomile.

    Do you meditate?

    Yoga?

    I do a wonderful before bed yoga to relax my body and just let it all go...then use the lavendar on my pillow.

    Also, I luuuvvv to have a nice warm cup of herbal tea before bed. I like mint and many of the night-time blends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to my first Reiki Session this coming Friday too...have u tried that?

    It's a type of energy-based healing method which helps balance your life forces (chakras), thus promoting natural relaxation and healing from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also in the same way- eyes and neck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanette, you are right! I hate taking the day off. Hey the Prep H is working;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaaa! Talli, my eye doctor told me to take my contacts out and use my glasses. No Harry Potter, but pink JLO's! They are cute, but I like my contacts......guess I'll be Jenny From the Block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Bish!! Prep H is working:)) But I do plan on taking off the last week of December, so I hope my eyes don't fall off by then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, DD, those sound heavenly and I did do those things before this publishing gig. But you know how I am with getting things done! I've have Reike and it's GREAT!!!! Be prepared to cry out some of those emotions you have from years of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nas Dean! Let's schedule a spa day!!

    ReplyDelete

ANSWERING A READER QUESTION

AMAZON COZY MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: https://amzn.to/35jiXar GOODREADS COZY MYSTERY AMAZON BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION: https://www.goodreads.com/topic...