Pages

Writing With Emotion




One of the hardest things to do when writing a story is putting the emotions that the characters are feeling into words that will convey that. We can’t just go around writing that they were happy or angry all the time. We have to put those feelings into words that describe the emotions so that the readers don’t just know what is going on, but feel it deep inside too.

“A buzzing grew in my ears as the oxygen was denied to my lungs. My heart slammed against my chest and I tried to push him away from me, but I didn’t have the strength to compete with his alcohol-induced anger. “

The passage above comes from a chapter in my book. When you read it – what does it make you feel? Can you feel the fear? Do you have a sense of how intense this moment might just be? What about this one?

“I paced the living room, tried to watch T.V., but nothing I put on could hold my attention. I walked from room to room looking out all the windows, not looking for anything, but having nothing else to do as the time dragged slowly by."

Can you feel her anxiety here? You know nothing else about the story, but does this make you wonder what she is waiting for? What could cause her to be so concerned that she can’t sit still?

One of the most important things about writing emotions is trying to put ourselves into those situations and visualize them ourselves so we can put them on paper. There is a saying that many authors adhere to, “Write what you know”. So when an author writes about a subject that they know well, they are able to reach deep down inside themselves and pull the visual emotions to the surface to be able to put them on paper.

When I wrote Whether I’ll Live or Die, I called up a lot of old emotions. Emotions that were long buried and at times very, very painful to deal with. There were times when I would write a single line or a small paragraph and have to walk away from it for a while.  As I wrote the painful lines, I lived them in my mind.

My goal for this was for those outside who knew nothing about domestic violence to see inside a dark cruel world that is all too familiar to so many people.  I wanted people to not only read a story that would entertain them, but that would educate them too.

Writing good healthy fun emotions can be tricky too. Have you ever read a book that was so passionate that you felt like you were the one being touched? That’s good writing! Ever read something that had you chuckling out loud with the characters? That’s the author putting description into their words to help you understand the characters and relate to them.

No matter what emotions authors are writing, they come from deep inside. They strive to bring out descriptions that will enhance the experience and be more than just mere words on a page.  They want you to live in the moment you are part of – want you to feel what the characters are feeling.  That’s what makes a book good!








Extras for Whether I’ll Live or Die
Included here are: Links, Back of book blurb, excerpt, author bio

Links:
Twitter: @StacySEaton

Book Blurb:
“It sounded so simple in theory; ready... aim... fire... but what actually transpired was so much more.”

Officer Nicole Nolan holds the gun steady in her hands, knowing that life will be forever altered once she pulls the trigger. Her position as a small town police officer is to protect those who cannot protect themselves. It is her job, her career and her life.

Amanda stands where protection does not exist. With several failed relationships behind her, Amanda turns a blind eye to the possessiveness Josh displays in order to sooth her desperate need to be loved. As the mental abuse turns violent, Amanda must deal with the denial and embarrassment of being a victim once again. With her emotional and physical health siting on the edge, she must fight to regain control of her life.

A gripping story with one final destination, but will it be life or death?



Excerpt:
Excerpt of Chapter 24 – Whether I’ll Live or Die by Stacy Eaton

It wasn’t until we were on our way home that we broached the subject of my marriage again. Angie brought up a question that had been hovering around in the back of my mind most of the day.
“What are you going to say to Josh?” she asked me quietly as we drove along the highway. I gazed out the window beside me, watching the scenery flash past quickly, reminding me of the memories that had crossed my mind the night before, a rapid succession of images that began to blur together if I didn’t blink.
“I’m not sure,” I answered the window as I continued to view the passing world outside. “I’ll figure it out when the time comes.”
Turning up the volume on the radio, Angie let it go at that. We sang to the music for the rest of the ride home. As we turned onto the street, my heart stopped when I saw his car in the driveway next to mine. “Damn,” I muttered under my breath.
“You want me to go in with you?” Angie said as she pulled over in front of the house. “I can if you want me to.”
I smiled, “No, that’s alright.” I thanked her for a great afternoon and for being there for me. I promised not to push her away again and stepped out of the car. I picked up the bag with the single item I had purchased in it and made my way to the front door.
I didn’t take my keys out as I stepped up, figuring Josh would have left the door open when he got home. I glanced back at Angie, waved, then reached for the doorknob as she pulled away.
The door swung quickly open, and I lost my balance, stumbling into the foyer. I hadn’t even recovered my balance when I felt hands push me against the wall. The door slammed shut. I cringed as the door vibrated the wall next to me.
“Where the hell have you been?” Josh yelled.
I turned so my back was to the wall. I could smell alcohol coming off of him and his eyes looked aggressive and glassy.
“I was out shopping with Angie,” I responded meekly to his question.
“Bullshit! Who were you with?” He got in my face and my knees started shaking.
“I was with Angie,” I repeated quietly.
His forearm immediately came to my throat, forcing my head back to the wall. I tried to turn my head to release the pressure, but he held me too tightly against the drywall.
“You better not be cheating on me! Who were you with?” Spit landed on my face as he shouted. A buzzing grew in my ears as the oxygen was denied to my lungs. My heart slammed against my chest and I tried to push him away from me, but didn’t have the strength to compete with his alcohol-induced anger.
“Who were you with, Amanda?” He pressed harder on my neck and I felt things moving around inside. Breathing became even more difficult.
“Angie,” I squeaked out.
Suddenly, he released my throat, punching a hole in the wall beside me. I cringed away from him as far as I could get, sucking air into my hot lungs, the sound of bees still in my ears. I didn’t move any further until he turned and walked away. My shoulders slumped, and I bit my lip to keep the tears back.
“Where have you been?” He flopped down on the sofa and put his feet out on the coffee table. Dirt fell off his boot on to the wood. My head felt foggy, I couldn’t remember what he’d just asked me.
“What?” I licked my bottom lip, tasting my own blood from biting down so hard.
His boots came back to the floor, and he stood up in a swift movement. I froze for just a second as he turned to look at me, I felt like a deer in the headlights of an approaching Mack truck. He started to move, and I decided I didn’t need to be against the wall anymore. I tried to walk towards the kitchen to get away from him.
He was too fast. He grabbed me by my long blond hair, yanking me to a stop. I reached up to try and release the tension he had on me. He yanked me back to him, and I smashed into his chest, almost knocking us both over.
“Where the hell have you been?” he screamed at me as he twisted my hair down. I fell to my knees to ease the pressure.
“We were at the mall. Josh, let go, you’re hurting me!” The pain in my head was like someone had sliced me with a knife. He twisted the long hair around his hand and yanked. I screamed and he flung me away from him. I fell to the floor and lay there, one hand touching the soft carpet under me and the other touching my head where the hair had been pulled. If I hadn’t been touching it, I would have sworn the hair had been pulled out, but the soft locks were still at my fingertips.
I not only heard the sound of his boots on the floor, but I felt the vibration of them as he got closer. My body trembled. He put one knee into my back and pushed my neck down with his hand, forcing my face into the carpet.
“You ever, and I mean ever, cheat on me, Amanda, and I will kill you. You got that? I swear to God if I ever see you with another man, I will kill him and then I will kill you,” his cold voice slithered over me. I had never heard such venom come from him. The carpet fibers dug into my cheek, my cheekbone sharing the pain with my nose. Moisture ran down my cheek as my nose began to bleed again.
“You got that?” he shouted one last time and pushed down on me with his knee and hand before standing back up.
I didn’t speak, only nodded my head slightly into the carpet.

Author Bio:

Stacy is a full-time Police Officer who enjoys crime scene investigation above all else. She also owns a business that deals with helping people get the awareness out for the causes they care most about. She is a mother of two and her husband is also in law enforcement. She is very much into photography and carries her Nikon Digital SLR with her almost everywhere, just in case. She also has two Shiloh Shepherd dogs and loves to play catch with them.

Stacy uses her experience at work to make the stories more believable, weaving bits of crime solving knowledge into her stories of fiction to make them more lifelike. She writes using a unique style that keeps you in the minds of all the important characters. Switching back and forth from mind to mind to keep the readers aware of what each character is feeling and why they do the things they do.

Her first book, My Blood Runs Blue was the start of her writing career.  It brings the world of law enforcement into the paranormal world of vampires. It is a suspenseful adult series that will keep you guessing from chapter to chapter. Book one, My Blood Runs Blue, was published April 2011 and is currently available in paperback, hardcover and e-book editions. Book two of the series, entitled Blue Blood for Life was released September 2011 and like book 1 made International Best Selling lists on Amazon very quickly.  The third book of this series is in the plot and characters development stage. She is hoping to have it completed and published in the winter of 2012.

Stacy is also currently working on several different novels. The first one is called Liveon. Using a similar writing style as her series, this book brings to life Detective Jacquelyn Liveon as she tries to protect a movie star who is being threatened. While this book is well on it’s way, it has been put to the side to make way for another book that she is working on.

Whether I’ll Live or Die was released on July 13th! This book is a fictional story about a young woman named Amanda who deals with the pain and emotional issues of Domestic Violence. You will read about how Amanda deals with the things life hands her while you follow Nicole Nolan as she grows at her new job as a police officer. This book is very emotional and intense as it deals with the all too real problems that face people in violent relationships.

Reviews:
“This book is absolutely riveting, taking you on a kaleidoscope of emotions…”
"WOW - That was Powerful! So well written I felt like I was right there."
“The story is phenomenal and beautiful in an emotion way.”
“Thank you Ms. Eaton for this excellent story of a very heartbreaking fact of life.”
“Life changing, compelling and heartbreaking are just a few of the words I would use to describe author Stacy Eaton's novel…”
“This book is raw and real.”
“…a brilliantly crafted journey that engages the reader both emotionally and psychologically.”

11 comments:

  1. Tonya - Thank you for allowing me to visit!!! I hope your guest enjoy the blog post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure! I love this piece on emotions! I love going back after the first draft and adding those bits!

      Delete
  2. Good points on writing emotion into a story. Stacy, your blurb and excerpt are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sandy! So glad you stopped by and commented!

      Delete
    2. I agree, Sandy! Stacy's blurb is great! All her books are wonderful! Check them out!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Stacy. Yes, writing emotions means digging into your own feelings to bring it out. I get what you mean about having to walk away and calm down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rachelle, that's so true. When I finish an emotional scene, I have to step away for a while and gather my wits about me.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful advice, Stacy. This is the hardest thing for me, so I'm always looking for more pointers. I know the feeling I'm trying to convey, but what's that word? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dariel! Lol.... We are always looking for that one word!

      Delete
  5. Hi Stacy, can one write a story without emotional feelings put in for characters? If you read synopsis of the story, SPIRIT OF LOVE,I wrote(And published),on my blog www.ramanmorarjee.wordpress.com,you would agree that without emotional feelings one cannot write a good story.
    Your advice is good and valued by me.

    ReplyDelete

ANSWERING A READER QUESTION

AMAZON COZY MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: https://amzn.to/35jiXar GOODREADS COZY MYSTERY AMAZON BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION: https://www.goodreads.com/topic...