Pages

What's With The Short Stories?

Authors have so many irons in the fire these days. My irons include being a GREAT wife (**wink**), raising three teenage boys, raising three fury kids, sister, daughter, niece, neighbor, employee, chauffeur, neighbor, patient, chef, therapist, and on and on. Any author would rattle off a list similar to mine.

So see, my life is really no different than yours. Only I write! And I write in two different genres: chick-lit and cozy mystery.

As you can see from my list, there isn't a lot of time left for me to write, which is why I'm always writing at my kid's practices, school functions, and anywhere I take them.

I have two target audiences for my career, the romance enthusiasts and the mystery lovers. I can't keep them happy all the time, but I can make an attempt.

My writing muse works a little different for me. I can not start a series and stop writing to start a different series. While the characters have taken residence in my head, I have to finish out their story. Currently, I'm in my mystery cave writing away on the Magical Cures Mystery Series and The Divorced Divas, leaving Grandberry Falls and Postcards from Paris in the wings.

I love all my readers and would do anything I can to keep them happy. That is why I decided to write the Small Town Romance Short Story Series.

(The Dare Me Date is the second in the Small Town Romance Series! It just come out in time for Valentine's Day!)

Short stories are hard for me to write. It's a day in the life of a new character in a fictitious small town. They are packed with fun and a bit of romance to wet the mouths of my readers and keep them happy. The idea behind the series is to write one for each holiday (including the Hallmark ones) and at the end of the year, compile them into a book that will be in print and ebook.

This way I will keep all my readers happy while I continue to finish up the mystery series I have started. Then it will be reversed. I will write short story mysteries while I continue to write on the new romance series.

So....what do you think? Would you like your favorite authors to cater to your reading needs?

One LUCKY comment will win a copy of the TWO short stories I have out in the Small Town Romance Short Story Series! Winner will be announced on Friday!!



12 comments:

  1. i'm always happy for a short story. Furing the einter months I'm known for reading a book a day. I enjoy many genres. When i like an author i'm known gir buuing the book when it comes out and then holding back on reading it. So that i always having something waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, Jill! I think I will start doing that.

      Delete
  2. I love a good short story that will keep me occupied while I wait for my appointment at the dentist or doctor's office. Long enough to take me away from the waiting room and short enough to finish just in time to hear Cheryl - you are next! Love your writing Tonya!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I read short stories too!! Thank you so much for your kind words :)

      Delete
  3. Short stories are an awesome way to keep the creative juices flowing between novels. I like your take on bringing them to your readers this way while you are working in a different genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JT, it is a nice step away from what I'm writing. It does help get me rolling and thinking about the novel I'm writing.

      Delete
  4. I am completely in LOVE with "A New Tradition." I've read it twice! I picked up "The Dare Me Date" earlier this week but I haven't had time to read it. Prior to "A New Tradition" I would have said hands down my favorite books of yours were The Magical Series. I love June, Oscar, and all the quirky characters in the Magical Series. But there was something about the writing and Sabrina and Wynn's romance that completely pulled my heart strings. The story being short was great for me. I had enough time to read it with my 2 year old running around and not be distracted :o) Romance is your niche Miss Tonya. You have a way of making it realistic and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That makes me smile. I'm a sucker for a sweet romance and I can't resist writing them.

      Delete
  5. I love reading short stories. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a quick read. Kimmotzer@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading all of your books including your short stories! You are one of my favorite authors. You never let me down.

    ReplyDelete

ANSWERING A READER QUESTION

AMAZON COZY MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: https://amzn.to/35jiXar GOODREADS COZY MYSTERY AMAZON BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION: https://www.goodreads.com/topic...