Pages

A Vicious Cycle

I love to read. I really do.
There's just one problem...
When I'm deep in writing the first draft of a book, I not only feel guilty about stopping my work to read, but I can't get into someone else's book without thinking about mine.

It's a bad situation for me. I will read another author's mystery and scratch my head wondering why they didn't do something this way or that. I critique the writing more than enjoying the story. Or I'll critique my work and feel so inadequate thinking how much better their story is than mine.

It's a vicious cycle!

Do y'all read for enjoyment? Or do you critique the writer's work as you go?

1 comment:

  1. I read for enjoyment, I do admit every once in awhile my mind will wander and take the story in a whole new direction. I have to stop myself and bring myself back and try to remember what just popped in my head didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete

ANSWERING A READER QUESTION

AMAZON COZY MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: https://amzn.to/35jiXar GOODREADS COZY MYSTERY AMAZON BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION: https://www.goodreads.com/topic...